Role Model

Monday, March 19, 2012

I wish I knew this guy.  I wish I could have him over for dinner and have my kids learn from him.

So for now, I guess just seeing him on Mythbusters and his new show Unchained Reaction will have to suffice. Fortunately, my sons are enthralled by Mythbusters, and Smitty Jr is getting to where he is trying little experiments at home and asking questions - the right questions - about what he is seeing or experiencing.  It forces me to re-research and re-learn a lot of the things I did well "back in the day" (when I took AP Chem and AP Physics in highschool, and took more advanced chem and physics in college for shits and grins).

Anyway, my role model Adam Savage on the newly-launched TED-Ed:

2 comments:

Monk-in-Training 5:46 AM  

What a great video. The world is awash in ignorance, and this is a bright star. Unfortunately so many people of Faith only see fear.

Noah 8:03 AM  

so many people of Faith only see fear.

You know, I've been thinking about that a lot lately. I wonder if some peoples' faith is so tenuous, their god so weak, that as we peel back the layers - peer behind the curtain more and more with scientific discoveries - they fear there will be nothing left. Instead, they bury their heads in the sand and declare how wrong it is for us to know these things, or that these things we're discovering are tainted or devilish trickery.

Silliness and superstition.

Some people of faith have had to reassess several things:
--creation didn't happen that way, nor in that time period
--evolution is fact
--the earth is old; the universe older

The list can go on, but those are the easiest few. I suppose for some people of faith, "compromising" one particular part of the bible "compromises" the whole thing. As soon as we no longer admit the world was created in 7 days and that "intelligent design" is anything but, then is the truth of the bible compromised?

To some, obviously, yes. Fortunately, for some other people of faith, the book is a moral guide; it doesn't matter so much that earth was created in 7 days or 4.6 billion years, what matters is that something created it, that thing has expectations, and we do well do live for others by that code.

Post a Comment

Followers

Potential Drunks

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP