Maple Syrup Porter

Monday, February 06, 2012

With my kegs at home dangerously low or otherwise depleted, I came to the stark realization that I have fallen-out of my brew cycle that assures at least 1 operational keg in my kegerator at all times.

Coupled with the facts that:

  1. The High Holy Day is a mere 7 weeks away;
  2. The ales I wish to brew for the High Holy Day are 6-week ferment and force-carb; and
  3. The Smitty family has an annual St. Patrick's Day party,
I realized I better get on the ball.  FSM-forbid I have empty kegs for the Highest Holy day of Most Extreme Magnitude.


This weekend started the 1st of the 2 beers I will have on tap:  the Maple Syrup Porter for which I have become famous:*

  • 9lb Maris Otter
  • 1 lb Briess caramel 40L
  • 1 lb English Brown Malt
  • 10 oz. English Chocolate Malt
  • 32 oz. pure maple syrup
  • 1.5 oz Fuggle (60 min)
  • 0.5 oz Fuggle (5 min)
  • Wyeast London Ale 1028
  1. Sacch' Rest:  154 degrees F for 60 minutes
  2. Mashout:  170 degrees F for 10 minutes
  3. 2 hour boil** (but add hops with 1 hour left and 5 minutes left)
  4. Add maple syrup at end of boil (cut heat, pour syrup)
Add a few friends and some beers in the garage, and it's a Brew Day Social Event!  This beer is ready to serve on March 10.  If I brew the other beer by this coming Saturday, it'll be ready on...March 17!

*Well, as famous as one gets with the lot that reads this blog and the handful of people who drink all my beer...

**The grain bill in this recipe is such that the amount of water needed for each step yields about 8 gallons.  You lose 1.5 G/hour during the boil, and I want to pitch yeast into 5 gallons.  Thus:  2 hours.  So you wait an hour, then add the 60 minute hops, etc.

4 comments:

Bob 11:26 AM  

You know my feelings on this recipe. It is great.

Your garage is way too clean.

Bob 1:32 PM  

FSM? You heathen!

How dare you mock Zeus? Release the Kracken!

Noah 1:36 PM  

Whatever, Bob. We're all slaves to Cthulhu already. As if...

Sopor 10:20 AM  

So is this the first All-grain Maple Syrup Porter? Hmmmmmm I may need to find an excuse to come back to MI...

Post a Comment

Followers

Potential Drunks

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP