Relief

Sunday, March 24, 2013

So as many of you on this blog know, I have 3 kids:  Smitty Jr (7), and the WonderTwins (4).  All boys.  Our house (and this is not meant to be a statement about boys-versus-girls, but just a statement of fact) is chaos.  It is loud.  At dinner, all 5 of us attempt at various moments to talk over one another.  They can't even play board games without yelling and squealing.

Much of the time, their energy is joyous.  It fills me with energy.  It makes me laugh.  Their inquisitiveness astounds me and drives me to keep teaching them and showing them.

But sometimes, I lose my shit.  Sometimes that one last word or yelp snaps a little something in my brain.  A "what" suddenly becomes a "WHAT." Some days, I just don't have it in me to be all over them, and instead I retreat into books and blogs.

But that stuff isn't a failure.  It's a good example.  But sometimes, regardless of knowing that, I feel like a half-assed parent.

A good friend sent me this post, and near the end of it I think are what should be the 7 Commandments of Parenthood:


You are not a terrible parent if you can’t figure out a way for your children to eat as healthy as your friend’s children do. She’s obviously using a bizarre and probably illegal form of hypnotism.
You are not a terrible parent if you yell at your kids sometimes. You have little dictators living in your house. If someone else talked to you like that, they’d be put in prison.
You are not a terrible parent if you can’t figure out how to calmly give them appropriate consequences in real time for every single act of terrorism that they so creatively devise.
You are not a terrible parent if you’d rather be at work.
You are not a terrible parent if you just can’t wait for them to go to bed.
You are not a terrible parent if the sound of their voices sometimes makes you want to drink and never stop.
You’re not a terrible parent.
Yeah.  That.  All of that.
So to my fellow parents out there, read this guy's blog post, and feel better about the fact that you are, indeed, a fine parent.

3 comments:

steves 1:50 PM  

I can honestly say that I have felt all those things at one point in time, and I only have two kids. In some ways, we were spoiled. Our oldest was fairly easy going as baby and as a young child. Our youngest can be very defiant and difficult. If we would have had him first, he would have been an only child.

Bob 8:09 AM  

You are not a terrible parent if you can’t figure out a way for your children to eat as healthy as your friend’s children do. She’s obviously using a bizarre and probably illegal form of hypnotism.

Yup, that's my kids. Don't hate me. My daughter loves baked Tofu. I have just not told them that a good steak is close to heaven.

You are not a terrible parent if you yell at your kids sometimes...

Please tell me this once a day and give me a hug. I grew up with a dad who yelled: A LOT! and LOUDLY!.
I swore I would not yell at my kids, but dangit, I am human.

You are not a terrible parent if you can’t figure out how to calmly give them appropriate consequences...

This is why I yell.

You are not a terrible parent if you’d rather be at work...

Been there. Usually on a Sunday night.

You are not a terrible parent if you just can’t wait for them to go to bed.

They are such angels - when they are sleeping.

You are not a terrible parent if the sound of their voices sometimes makes you want to drink and never stop.

Maybe not their voices, but their screaming.

You’re not a terrible parent.

Sometimes I am. I think my kids will survive.

Pete,  7:50 PM  

Love it! But am I not seeing the link to the original post?

Post a Comment

Followers

Potential Drunks

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP