Joe Biden--Stimulus Czar

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I was never pleased with Biden being tapped as VP, but I had hoped that he would be placed in charge of minor projects and attend the funerals of minor foreign dignitaries. This is why I was surprised to find that he was tapped to oversee implementation of the $787 billion economic stimulus package. While I don't have all the details as to what this jop entails, it would seem to require a person that has great organizational skills and is deft at managing people with differing political views.

This just seems to be a bad pick. This article seems to indicate that Biden has some serious concerns about the package. Obviously, there is nothing wrong with being concerned, but I do wonder if might be better to have a person that is more confident of the plan. I will readily admit that my lack of enthusiasm is coming from the fact that I don't like Biden. I never have. I am hoping some ATK'ers can convince me that I shouldn't be so worried.

5 comments:

Rickey 4:08 PM  

If you're looking for someone to soothe your worries, Rickey aint your guy. There's too many damned cooks in the kichen right now, IRHO.

Noah 4:24 PM  

This article seems to indicate that Biden has some serious concerns about the package

I think you overstated his level of concern. I think he was just citing a political reality the way only Biden can do it: by overstating the problem! He has not articulated anything that other Dems haven't already said: that regardless of what is done with the package, it could be a political liability.

So just maybe...a guy who is concerned about the effect this could have on his own party...might do a good job of overseeing it. Or, just maybe, a President worried about inevitable fallout from inevitable excesses will pin implementation on his #2, and #2 will take it, because that's what #2 does.

We're certainly not going to allow Geither to oversee it. We don't have a Commerce Sec'y yet. You can't split it up and allow each Department head to have their own little piece; that's chaos. Who else? The guy who was elected by the people.

Mr Furious 4:55 PM  

It's okay, steves. Biden's "crime" on the stimulus (and most of his other "gaffes") is actually being honest. People in the cocoon aren't ready for that shit.

If that article is about Biden referring to the chances of the stimulus bill failing, consider this: a 30% chance it might not work is probably optimistic.

If Biden is the guy tasked with moving shit through Congress and such, he's probably a good man for the job—just keep him in the background.

the public face of this will take a more deft touch than Biden is capable of. Can't afford to be spooking the markets and banks unnecessarily...

And I'm pretty sure Obama will remain the public face and Chief Salesman.

steves 7:03 PM  

And I'm pretty sure Obama will remain the public face and Chief Salesman.

This would be a good thing. I wouldn't say I hated Biden, I just think he is kind of a dunce and an intellectual lightweight.

B Mac 11:41 AM  

I just think he is kind of a dunce and an intellectual lightweight.

I disagree. I think he's as delicate and nuanced as a pile of elephant dung, and he tends to put his foot in his mouth. But I think he's fairly bright.

Post a Comment

Followers

Potential Drunks

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP