Anthony Weiner

Thursday, June 09, 2011




Let me start out by saying that I am not a fan of Congressman Weiner and I will admit to feeling a slight "aha" when this whole thing started. That subsided fairly quickly and I failed to get all that worked up about this whole thing. I certainly think he showed terrible judgment and if I lived in his district, this may have influenced (to some degree) if I voted for him. That being said, I think this whole situation has become ridiculous.

Glenn Greenwald has an excellent take on Weinergate (I will cheer the day when this overused suffix disappears). I especially enjoy his condemnation of the media, in pointing out what they think is important:

Reporters who would never dare challenge powerful political figures who torture, illegally eavesdrop, wage illegal wars or feed at the trough of sleazy legalized bribery suddenly walk upright -- like proud peacocks with their feathers extended -- pretending to be hard-core adversarial journalists as they collectively kick a sexually humiliated figure stripped of all importance.


Yes! Where was your journalistic integrity? Where was your righteous outrage? Like Greenwald, I fail to get to worked up about this "scandal", when compared to other political scandals. Essentially, this involved consensual behavior that was not illegal. He was not some family values champion (Larry Craig), or someone that vigorously prosecuted prostitution (Elliot Spitzer), or someone that made illegal payments to keep things quiet (John Edwards). Yes, he lied and that isn't good, but this really is between him and his spouse.

John Scalzi has probably the best definition of cheating that I have read:

“Cheating” is not about whether you’ve physically met someone, whether they’re in the same room with you, the levels of dress you or they are wearing, or whether what you’re doing with them can be quantified on a baseball diamond. Cheating is allowing another person into a level of intimacy your partner expects to be theirs alone. That level of intimacy is not uniform from person to person. There is no guarantee that your partner’s expected level of intimacy will be entirely congenial to you; in that respect what qualifies as “cheating” is not up to you.


I like this because it takes into account that it allows for the fact that not every couple has the same rules. There are some behaviors that I may not be ok with , but that other couples are willing to tolerate. I don't know if that it the case here. Mrs. Weiner may be ok with her husband engaging in this behavior or maybe she is not...but in the end, it really isn't anybody else's business.

I hear on the news the rising number of Democrats that are calling for his resignation. While I suppose my opinion doesn't matter in that regard, I am calling for him not to resign.

4 comments:

Bob 10:08 AM  

I have come to the same conclusion as you. At first my mind lumped him into the same category as Edwards, Spitzer, etc. I was thinking that another forceful liberal just blew his future. I was thinking "what a dumbass."

Then I started thinking about it. He did not abuse power, his office or campaign funds. He also is not my congressman, so I really down care. His constituents will have to determine if lying was worse than saying: “none of your damn business”.

On a less serious note, I have to question his judgment. Have you seen his wife? Not only is she extremely successful, she is freaking gorgeous.

Link:
http://cdn.babble.com/famecrawler/files/2011/06/alg_weiner_abedin.jpg

Bob 10:38 AM  

BTW - Can you imagine the terror and panic feeling he must have had when he realized that he submitted the photo to the twitter world?

Ooops!

Monk-in-Training 12:14 PM  

I find this entire episode mortifying and unpleasant. However, as I have said for some time, these matters are for him and his wife to sort out.

I don't know what is wrong with men and power, this seems to be unfortunately common. Even King David couldn't seem to keep it in his tunic.

Lord have mercy!

leighton 7:24 PM  

Democrats have a ridiculous double standard about misconduct. When Bill Jefferson was found to have criminally misused his office for financial gain, it took nearly 4 years for Pelosi to ask him to resign. Weiner can't keep it in his pants, and suddenly his conduct is unacceptable?

Granted, I suspect most of this push is happening because getting Weiner to fall on his sword is the only way to get the media to stop focusing on his tweets and maybe pay a smidgen of attention to the Republicans' plan to end Medicare, or maybe run a page 28 paragraph in 6-point font about how Justice Thomas and his wife netted six figures of undeclared profit from his Citizens United decision. So while I will concede that Washington culture is deeply flawed, I am also starting to conclude that with a few exceptions, the media in the U.S. is far worse than merely useless.

Post a Comment

Followers

Potential Drunks

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP