Sean Penn is crazy

Wednesday, March 10, 2010


Maybe we need to send him a copy of the Necronomicon. Sean Penn had this to say on Real Time with Bill Maher in regards to Hugo Chavez:

every day, this elected leader is called a dictator here, and we just accept it! And accept it. And this is mainstream media, who should – truly, there should be a bar by which one goes to prison for these kinds of lies.


I know the media often does a lousy job, but should they go to jail for saying negative things about Chavez? It turns out that the media isn't all that bad to Chavez. According to the Business and Media Institute from 1998 to 2006 his human rights record was only mentioned in 10% of the stories. Maher had some more questions:

MAHER: His image in the media is just a buffoon. You have been there. You know him. You’ve talked to him. That’s all I really know about Hugo Chavez, is what I read in the media. A dictator, took over a lot of the branches of government, wants to be president for life. What do you know that I don’t know, that I should not have such a harsh feeling about this guy?

PENN: I think that if you’re more happy with 20 percent of a population having the access to dreams, access to the feeling they have an identity and a voice. If it’s okay with the 20 percent, versus the 80 percent he gave it to, then you can criticize Hugo Chavez. You know, there are a lot of complicated issues that comes simply out of perspective. We in the United States have a difficult time putting ourselves in the shoes of what has been the history of Venezuela, the history of Latin America, and many other places.We’re very monocultural. And then we are hypnotized by the media. For example, Hugo Chavez. Who do you know here who’s gone through fourteen of the most transparent elections on the globe, and has been elected democratically, as Hugo Chavez?


I thought maybe I had Chavez all wrong and that he may have been a victim of some bad press in the US. I spent some time on a variety of left wing forums, figuring that it was more likely he would have some supporters in those places. He did, but most of the people that seemed to know anything about that part of the world didn't have much good to say about him.

Granted my research was limited, but I concluded that Chavez is not a nice guy and that Penn, while he may have good intentions, is an idiot. Human Rights Watch has a detailed look at Chavez and it is worth reading if you have the time. Amnesty International also has a good page on Venezuela.

What are your thoughts on Chavez?

4 comments:

Mr Furious 12:48 AM  

What are your thoughts on Chavez?

Same as my thoughts on Penn: None.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say the truth about Chavez lies somewhere between Penn's portrayal of him as the Latin Santa Claus of Democracy and the right wing's holding him up as the spawn of Josef Stalin and Idi Amin.

I'm sure Chavez is better than some leaders and wore than others. He is clearly used as a boogey man here in the U.S. and I think Penn has a valid point there...

Bob 8:17 AM  

What I want to know is why do we care what an actor thinks?

I think I will ask the bag boy at Meijer what he thinks about Chavez. His opinion will mean more to me.

steves 3:31 PM  

For the most part, I don't care, but a lot of people obviously do. To be fair, there are some celebs that are fairly well informed, but many seem to be idiots. Some of them seem almost like children in their fascination.

Rickey 4:44 PM  

Save a few lamentable instances, our actors generally don't get into politics, so like everybody else is saying, who cares? When Bobcat Goldthwait issues a political statement, perhaps then Rickey will take notice.

Post a Comment

Followers

Potential Drunks

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP