I'd Never Leave the House...Friday Beer Blogging

Friday, August 18, 2006

Were this my kid, I would burst with pride. Had I this ability, I'd never leave the house.

Thoughts of beer, pictures of beer and beer for breakfast can only mean one thing: it's Friday, and time for Friday Beer Blogging.

Today's selection is Rogue Ale Brewery's Chocolate Stout.

The first time I had this beer, I didn't like it at all. But I had a Belgian Golden Ale before it, and ate an especially rich BBQ Pork calzone, so I wanted to give it another try. I bought some at my local Beer Cathedral of Peace and Suds, a.k.a. Oades Big 10 Party Store (with over 370 different beers).

The second try was...triumphant.

So, to lend it the same descriptions I'd use when I actually judge a beer (with inappropriate but necessary editorials in italics...they wouldn'r appear on a judging form, but I gotta say 'em to you):

Category: 13E, American Stout.

Appearance: Pitch black, opaque, with a coffee-colored head -- thick and creamy, great lacing, great head retention. Big, dark chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, people. 12/12

Aroma: Moderate roasted malt aroma underneath a huge chocolate aroma; a chocolate beyond that achieved by chocolate malts and into the realm of real chocolate. Hint of a burnt aroma, as appropriate. Hops nearly undetectable (low to modertate is acceptable), mostly covered by the delicious delicious delicious chocolate aroma. 3/3

Flavor: Big massive chocolate milk flavor from beginning to end. Burnt around the edges of the palate, ending on a big toasted malt not, like coffee beans. Chocolate in my Irish Coffee!!There is a touch of resiny hop bitterness that blends with some smoke characteristics from the malts. Simply loads of real chocolate flavor, which dominates throughout. Finished slightly dry. There is very little malt sweetness, but what is there is still chocolaty and slightly molasses-like. Sometimes, though, the burnt flavors clash with the heavy chocolate, slightly confusing the palate. I can't get enough. 18/20

Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth and very full-bodied. It is honestly as close to chocolate milk via beer as you can get. Low carbonation, which is inappropriate to style. A nice alcohol warmth that isn't overpowering. 4/5

Overall Impression: Chocolate!! The only thing I can think of is chocolate. Sometimes, it seems, especially with the slightly smokey character, that it is like a strong Mexican chocolate. Excellent and classic example of an American Stout, with chocolate actually enhancing the overall beer, making it unique and notable. 10/10

47/50 (Outstanding, world-class example)

This beer is brewed with natural chocolate as well as chocolate malts, as is standard.

This is truly a stand-alone beer. I'd drink it with dessert or even alone as dessert.

So, it's Friday! Give me your beer. What do you like? What have you had recently?

5 comments:

Anonymous,  1:59 PM  

Leopold for City Council!

http://leopoldforcouncil.blogspot.com/

~Pols

B Mac 2:00 PM  

Had a Victory Hop Devil IPA at a local establishment on Tuesday (they just revamped their beer menu; I have some serious investigating to do in the near future...).

The best way I can describe it is, "Oh, sweet lord, the hops..."

Smells of hops. Tastes of hops (a little citrus-like, almost grapefruit). Finishes hops. Later on, you will burp. The burps will taste of hops. I'm guessing my first child will have hops on his breath when he is born.

But then, I probably could have guessed that from the name.

Noah 2:41 PM  

Hop Devil is a damn fine American Pale Ale and a great example of the style. The powerful hops are well balanced by a super-sweet backbone of malt. I think it's a great balance and admire that beer greatly.

Unknown 3:39 PM  

Now i am thirst AND hungry.

Thrillhous 11:00 AM  

Wow, I've got to get me some of this chocolate beer. If only they could make it into candy bars.

NOthing fancy passed my lips this weekend, per usual.

Post a Comment

Followers

Potential Drunks

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP