Flag Pins: Put To Rest

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I think this guy, Roland Martin over at CNN.com, has the funniest-looking head ever.

But that funny head of his finally said something I agree with: enough with the flag pin nonsense.

Since it is clear that our nation is paralyzed and so not able to close our borders, feed the homeless, develop businesses in the inner cities and save people from having their homes taken by foreclosure due to ruthless mortgage companies, all because some folks don't wear a flag lapel pin, we need to lead a national movement to demand that Congress and the states make requiring officeholders to wear a flag lapel pin the 28th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
That's right, folks. If Obama or McCain can't see fit to wear their patroitism on their proverbial sleeve, then we can't trust them to make the right decisions.


Martin nails it:
"That's what zealots do. They take something so simple, so personal, so voluntary, and absolutely lose their mind, trying to force someone else to do as them, and everyone else be damned...When I'm on the golf course and I slip my wedding ring into my golf bag, the Rev. Jacquie Hood Martin is still my wife...I may not be able to fit into the shirt I pledged in, but I will be a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. until the day I die...I am an unapologetic Christian, but you won't see a cross dangling from my neck or a James Avery charm bracelet on my wrist. Why? Because my love of Jesus Christ is in my heart.[emphasis mine]


Just like "patriotism" and loe of America. It's inside you, or not.

He closes well in his brief op-ed. But for God's sake, indeed, this part of the debate and all of the attention drawn to whether or not someone wears a flag pin is indeed just a distraction from members of Congress having to actually defend their shitty, partisan voting records.

I hope we have finaly hit rock-bottom. Then there's finally nowhere for our debates and priorities to go but up.

7 comments:

Bob 7:05 AM  

"I hope we have finally hit rock-bottom."

Oh you silly, silly man. I am sure we are far, far from the bottom in this election season.

Without boogie-man like "Willie Horton", people to hate like "Welfare Queens", and non issues like lapel pins and how much people pay for hair cuts, Republican's would have never won so many elections since the 1980s. Lord knows their record doesn't match their rhetoric.

I am sure we can expect even more foolishness and a "swift-boating" of one or more candidates.

Bob 8:44 AM  

Hellooo?

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

B Mac 1:21 PM  

Clearly, you both hate America. And freedom.

steves 6:55 PM  

While the lapel pin issue is pretty silly, it is equally asinine to suggest that both parties haven't engaged in less-than-substantive tactics...it's 3 in the morning, who do you want answering the phone?

Boogie man Willie Horton, IIRC, committed robbery and rape while on his furlough. Al Gore was the first to criticize program, long before the elder Bush made those ads. Unlike the lapel pin, the furlough program seems like a decent topic of debate. Granting murderers some kind of furlough seemed like a bad idea.

Bob 7:56 AM  

You are correct that a furlough program would be a fine topic of debate. That said, the Willie Horton ads were nothing of this sort. They were about race and scaring white people into thinking that Dukakis would let scary-looking black guys out of jail.

From the little I know of a Governor's involvement in letting people out of jail, he probably had nothing to do with it.

You are also correct that either party may end up swift-boating the other and boogie-men may be introduced by either side. (Look what Clinton tried to do to Obama)The only thing is Democrats don't really execute this type of attack well. When Dems do it, it always seems weak and desperate.

steves 4:12 PM  

They were about race and scaring white people into thinking that Dukakis would let scary-looking black guys out of jail.

Willie Horton was a scary looking dude. He made Charles Manson look sane.

From the little I know of a Governor's involvement in letting people out of jail, he probably had nothing to do with it.

I know that he wasn't waiting with a key to let people out, but he was a strong supporter of the program and vetoed a bill that would have ended it.

Unknown 3:40 AM  

So..it's not a democracy...!!





custom pins

Post a Comment

Followers

Potential Drunks

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP