Open Mic Nite

Thursday, July 10, 2008

So we all know what happened last night. Jesse Jackson, apparently, wants to cut off Obama's balls.

Jackson appeared to be upset that Obama has, among other things, admonished black men to stand up and be family-men. Focus on their families and children. Without any sense of irony at being a man with numerous affairs and mistresses, he expressed, via wanting to cut Obama's nuts off, his disappointment at being allegedly talked down to, and that Obama still hasn't done enough for the black community (saying Obama "lacks passion in addressing issues that predominantly affect blacks"). You know...the whole "he's not black enough" thing we've discussed before.

Maybe I should be disappointed that Obama isn't passionate enough about addressing issues that affect predominantly white middle-class suburban beer drinkers with kids. And I'm sure my buddy Mike Wang is disappointed he's not passionate enough about Asian/Pacific Islander middle-class beer drinkers with internet surfing addictions.

This does two things, in my mind, both of which are good.

The first is that it further forces Jackson into irrelevancy. Second, and more importantly, it separates Obama from Jackson. I think that if Obama is not seen as too cozy with the likes of Sharpton and Jackson, it only helps Omaba among Hillary-disappointeds-looking-for-reasons-to-be-a-pain-in-the-ass and moderate voters.

Discuss.

4 comments:

steves 2:27 PM  

Considering that Obama isn't running for president of the black community, I'd say that JJ's comments won't hurt him all that much.

BTW, I am still out of town, so if I don't comment, it is not because I don't have anything to say.

B Mac 8:39 AM  

This feels to me like Jesse Jackson is raging against the dying of the light. He is no longer THE name in black political leadership, and that stings.

It's similar to the anger that Bill Clinton has displayed. After all, The Democratic Party was Bill's party for 16 years. Now it's Barack's party. That can't be good for the ego.

Bob 10:11 AM  

I think B Mac is onto something.

In any case, I doubt this will hurt Obama. I am not sure if it helps either. It ma just be a bad moment for Jackson.

In the end, whose opinion did Jackson just change? Anyone?

Sopor 10:40 AM  

I know that the first thing I do when I hear Jesse Jackson say something is...


Wait, sorry, what? I must've blanked out or something... did JJ speak again?

Post a Comment

Followers

Potential Drunks

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP