Michigan beers best in the world

Thursday, January 28, 2010

I thought this was perfect for this blog:

Multiple Michigan beers, brewers and establishments, including Bell's and Founders, rated best in the world .

By Josh Smith Kalamazoo Gazette
January 28, 2010, 12:48PM

KALAMAZOO - Michigan brewers, owners, retailers and restaurants have a lot to be proud of.

Beers from three Michigan breweries finished in the top 100 best beers in the world category in the RateBeer Best 2010 competition.

Grand Rapids' Founders Brewing Co. ranked the highest at No. 8 with their KBS (the beer formerly known as Kentucky Breakfast Stout).

Also on the list from Founders:
15. Canadian Breakfast Stout
30. Breakfast Stout
86. Imperial Stout

Kalamazoo's Bell's Brewery Inc. has six of its brews on the list:
12. Bourbon Barrel-Aged Double Cream/Expedition Stout
14. Expedition Stout
21. Hopslam
63. Two-Hearted Ale
85. The Oracle DIPA Ale
100. Kalamazoo Stout

People seem to like their stouts. Seven beers in the top 10 are imperial stouts.

Kuhnhenn Brewing Co.'s Raspberry Eisbock came in at No. 42.

Of the 100 Best Brewers in the World, six are from Michigan:
4. Founders Brewing Company, Grand Rapids
5. Bell's Brewery Inc., Kalamazoo
22. Kuhnhenn Brewing Co., Warren
34. Dark Horse Brewing Co., Marshall
64. Shorts Brewing Co., Bellaire
67. Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales, Dexter

Hopslam was ranked the 16th best beer. In the Best Beers of the United States, eight out of 50 are from Michigan:
8. Founders KBS
9. Bell's Bourbon Barrel Double Cream/Expedition Stout
11. Bell's Expedition Stout
12. Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout
16. Bell's Hopslam
23. Founders Breakfast Stout
31. Kuhnhenn's Raspberry Eisbock
47. Bell's Two-Hearted Ale

On the Best Beer Bars list, one from Michigan (out of 50):
22. The Hopcat, Grand Rapids

Of the 50 Best Brewpubs, four are from Michigan:
5. Shorts Brewing Co.
16. Kuhnhenn Brewing Co.
22. The Livery
47. Dark Horse Brewing Co.

Best Beer Retailers (one out of 50):
39. Siciliano's Market, Grand Rapids

Best Beer Restaurants, (two out of 50):
6. Slow's Bar-B-Q, Detroit
17. Ashley's, Ann Arbor

Best Breweries to Visit (four out of 50):
12. Founders Brewing Co.
14. Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
15. Dragonmead, Warren
27. Kalamazoo Brewing Co./Eccentric Cafe (Bell's)

2.47 million reviews of 110,000 beers from 9,680 brewers worldwide were submitted for this competition.

Find each list in its entirety here.

Cheers to all. Well done.

7 comments:

Noah 4:56 PM  

Nice find, Andy!

I have to say that I love every single one of the beers on the list, and my all-time favorite beer in the world is Founders Breakfast Stout.

Hopslam is an outstanding beer, btw.

And all of these beers are found at Oades Big 10...go buy yourself a Tour of Winning Beers selection!

Bob 6:01 PM  

Nice catch. Dig the beer industry news.

Love Michigan beer.

Noah 1:35 PM  

BTW, my beer hiatus is at an end. My guts and tastebuds are back to normal. I had to hit a reset button.

Things got to the point where beers all started to taste the same. Weekly beer reviews were a struggle because I would have to concentrate so hard on the flavors hitting my tongue that I stopped enjoying it and started to view it as a chore. Instead of each flavor revealing itself to me as I drank, it became like searching for keys in the dark: "where the fuck did I put the god-damned KEYS??" And that was no way to enjoy beer.

On top of that, I ballooned to a whopping 215. That's like 20 pounds heavier than I really want to be.

I can enjoy beer without drinking 2,700 of them a day. I can cut back on fatty foods if I am going to continue to drink beer. I do more cardio instead of just lifting. I eat smaller portions, and enjoy beer, just in less sheer quantity.

And now, as a result, I have lost 15 pounds, and can actually taste and enjoy beers again.

So look for the return of the weekly beer review, mostly on a weekly basis!

Bob 1:45 PM  

I knew you had to cut out coffee, but beer too?

Oh, the humanity!!!

I had no idea.

Noah 1:51 PM  

I was silent about that one. It...just hurt too much to discuss.

Jay 3:42 PM  

It's kind of sad, really. That's the first topic to come up on AtK on which I am actually qualified to comment (all beer tasting essentially the same).

Murray,  2:42 PM  

Nice write up. However, you're missing one of Michigan's best beers!

Post a Comment

Followers

Potential Drunks

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP